The objectives of the subproject are:
- to identify relevant socioeconomic factors which will influence the market conditions for indigenous vegetables in the future
- to determine the changes in international markets as well as their influence on the market conditions in Kenya based on multi-market partial equilibrium modelling
Therefore, three different value added chains will be investigated:
- a value chain for the supply of rural areas,
- a value chain for the supply of the urban population and
- a so-called co-ordinated value added chain, which is directed to the supply of supermarkets.
Furthermore, recommendations will be provided about how the overall efficiency of production, processing and marketing can be improved.
- Universities and research institutions
- Extension services
- Farmer’s organizations
This subproject being located upstream in the value chain may have beneficial and stimulating effects on all subprojects downstream.